5 Resolutions for a Healthier 2019
Starting the New Year
Many people start off the New Year with the best intentions — to be healthier, exercise more and enjoy life to the fullest. We often hear that “real life” gets in the way. We fall back into old patterns and habits that aren’t necessarily conducive to our goals and aspirations.
In order to help you on your journey towards a healthier lifestyle, we have put together a list of 5 adjustments that everyone can start making today. These range from staying hydrated to managing waste and will have a major impact on your health and overall well being.
1. Drink more water
Staying hydrated is an extremely healthy adjustment that can easily be made to your daily routine — in fact, you can start right now. Hydration can enhance your physical and mental well being. When you drink water regularly you will feel an overall improvement in your body such as to higher energy levels and an increase in your brain function.HealthLinkBC recommends an average of six to eight 250 mL (8 fl oz) glasses of water per day. However, some adults may need more or less depending on the status of their health, climate and how much they exercise. If you have a hard time keeping track of your water intake there are great aids like mobile apps to help you maintain hydration at the top of your list. We love the apps H20Pal Hydration Tracker and Daily Water both will let you log your water intake and remind you to drink!
2. Eat Healthier
Embarking on a healthy diet or eating more nutritious food can look a number of different ways depending on who you ask. There is so much advice on how to eat healthy out there that it can get confusing at times. We have put together a set of tips that will simplify this goal and make it easier for you to achieve.
- Increase your fibre intake and cook with whole grains. Make sure that you are getting enough fibre in your diet as it can help prevent ails like cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Quinoa, brown rice and sorghum are great and delicious whole-grain additions to your ingredient repertoire.
- Eat less meat. Swapping your meat for tofu or legumes every once in a while can be beneficial for your health and the environment. And when you do choose to eat meat be sure to go for a product that hasn’t been processed and is organic and grass fed.
- Make veggies your hero. Let vegetables be the main element of your meals in place of proteins, carbs and fats.
- Look to up your Omega-3s intake. These fatty acids are known to lower blood pressure and improve your mood. Incorporate fatty fish like salmon, or walnuts and flax to your diets as these are a great source of omega-3s.
- Reduce your sugar consumption. We often munch on snacks and sweets that contain high amounts of sugar. Making healthy snacks and choosing real fruit over ‘fruit flavouring’ are easy ways to lower the amount of sugar that you consume.
3. Try something new
It’s often easy for us to get stuck in our everyday routine. Trying new things like an exercise class is a simple way in which you can spice up your 2019. Learning a new skill can be extremely invigorating and gratifying and could be the difference between a great and mediocre year. An even easier way to add variation to your daily routine is to discover new foods and flavours. Try a new cuisine or cook with an ingredient that you have never used before. This way you can ensure a week filled with variety and surprise.
4. Make time for yourself
Stress causes high amounts of strain on our mind and body and a source of many health issues from poor gut health to anxiety. That is why it’s extremely important to rest and spend time with the people you care for the most and do the activities that you love. If you like the outdoors take time to go for a hike with your family and friends. If you love art, visit a museum or make your own art. Whatever it is the important message here is that you need to make time for yourself and decompress.5. Be more mindful about your waste
Environmental issues can often feel overwhelming. What is environmentally friendly and what isn’t? What can I recycle? Does this go in the blue or the green bin? There is a lot of information about managing your waste, but we like to stick to three simple tips.
- Swap out disposables for reusables. This can be as easy as getting a water bottle instead of buying bottled water or using tote bags for your groceries.
- Think about your food waste. Often when we go grocery shopping we tend to buy too much food and sometimes the recipes that we follow yield more than we can consume. That is why it is important to find ways in which to avoid having to throw away food. Get creative and use all of the ingredients you have to make meals or bring your leftovers to work.
- Reuse, reduce and recycle. Use the containers like cardboard and plastic boxes for storage or other projects that you need to be done around your home.
Let us help you 2
Although we cannot help you drink more water and stay hydrated we can to help you begin your journey towards a healthier lifestyle and achieve the other resolutions on this list.
Let’s begin with eating healthier. Here at Fresh 2 You we are firm believers that a healthy diet is the key to a happy and fulfilling life. Our bodies rely on the well-being of our guts in order to feel healthy physically and mentally. If you have an unhappy gut your body will not feel at 100%. Luckily our menu is designed to simplify healthy food in order to help you maintain a well-balanced nutritious diet that is delicious and satisfying. All of our meals are chef-prepared using organic, non-gmo produce and proteins. We offer a variety of options, which include vegan, paleo and vegetarian meals, as well as customization in order to satisfy any of your needs. Plus, our extensive menu allows customers to try new and exciting dishes, which leads us to our next resolution — trying something new.
We know that learning a new skill is awesome and practicing an activity that you’ve never done can be great, but so is finding a new food that you love. More importantly, adding variety to a healthy diet can be the factor that makes or breaks your stride. We often find that people have a hard time following a new food regimen because it’s repetitive and boring. The Fresh 2 You menu offers a wide selection of dishes in order to help keep the food that you consume exciting! Our food is inspired by cultures from all over the world from Shepherd’s Pie to Sichuan Prawns and Baby Shrimp Laksa. Best of all you will not have to put any of your time towards actual grocery shopping, cooking or prepping. This brings us to our fourth resolution — making time for yourself.
So much of our time is often spent in the kitchen. But what if we didn’t have to worry about what to make for our next meal? Think of all the free time you would have. You could try that new rowing class after work, finally learn how to speak Spanish or go hiking with your family. Sure, meal planning can help with the task of cooking and preparing a meal for every day of the week, but it is time-consuming. That’s where we come in. Our meals arrive ready to eat — simply heat them up or enjoy them cold. In addition, our reusable silicone packaging is great for work lunch and environmentally friendly.
Our final resolution is perhaps the most difficult one on the list. There are a lot more ways to manage your waste than the ones we previously mentioned, but those points are a good place to start. At Fresh 2 You we offer our clients the option to receive their food in eco-friendly reusable containers. Our meals are also the perfect size and portion so you can be sure that more food will end up in your belly than the trash can.